3:15 PM - 9:00 PM District Blood Drive at WES
7:30 PM PTA Council Meeting
Eighty high school and 95 middle school students of Italian, Spanish and French were inducted into the high school and middle school Foreign Language Honor Societies during separate ceremonies in the auditorium. These inductions were a culminating activity during the district’s annual Foreign Language Week.
Under the direction of Dan Aviles, Wantagh High School’s jazz ensemble received three top awards at the annual Herricks Jazz Festival: Best Rhythm Section, Best Trumpet Section and Outstanding Soloist (Matthew Saltzman). Herricks School District Jazz Director Geoff Taylor organizes the annual festival for student jazz bands from Nassau and Suffolk counties, which is designed to provide an opportunity for group and individual performances and a critique from a guest artist. Michael Phillip Mossman, lead trumpeter with Jazz at Lincoln Center's Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra, was this year’s guest artist and was responsible for deciding award presentations.
Wantagh Warrior senior editor Bianca Buffamonte and freshman reporter Grace Tague received Gold Awards at Adelphi University’s annual Quill Awards for excellence in journalism, recognizing the top high school newspaper staffs from New York City, and Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Under the direction of business law teacher Kate Aymong, the high school’s Moot Court Club placed second in the Hofstra University School of Law’s 27th annual Moot Court Competition at Plainview-Old Bethpage JFK High School. Mrs. Aymong said Moot Court Club introduces students to their first opportunity to study law. “I was extremely proud of the way the students handled themselves throughout this tough competition,” she said.
Wantagh High School student Nikoleta Mountanos received a Gold Key regional award in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards contest, presented by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers. Nikoleta’s dramatic script, “Her, Him, It,” was judged among the more than 255,000 submissions to the annual competition that recognizes excellence in writing and art and was considered for national recognition.
The Class of 2017 went on a field trip down to Washington DC on April 26th and 27th. The students were able to learn more about World War II and the tragedy of the Holocaust while at a tour of the Holocaust Museum. After the museum, the group went to various monuments accompanied by tour guides that included the World War II Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and Washington Monument.
Watch Adam Ezegalian, WHS Class of 2011...Wednesday Night, 8:00pm on FOX5
The Wantagh High School art department has announced that 11 students in Patricia Beary’s and Amy McPartlan’s Advanced Placement Photography and AP Studio classes, respectively, received regional awards in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards contest, presented by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers. The works of these talented individuals were judged among more than 255,000 submissions to the annual competition that recognizes excellence in writing and art.
High school students Lauren Dizel and Nicole Jaeggli were named BOCES Students of the Quarter for excellence in their studies in the animal care and child development programs, respectively. This quarterly honor is given to students who exceeded the expectations of the program and display potential for a fulfilling career in their chosen fields.
WANTAGH SENIOR HIGH DAILY BULLETIN
TODAY IS DAY 4
· CLASS OFFICER APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE IN FRONT OF THE MAIN OFFICE FOR THE CLASS OF 2016, 2017, AND 2018. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN RUNNING FOR CLASS OFFICE PLEASE COMPLETE THE APPLICATION AND RETURN TO YOUR CLASS ADVISOR BY TUESDAY, MAY 13th.
· THE ENVIROTHON COMPETITION FIELD TRIP TO THE OLD BETHPAGE RESTORATION VILLAGE IN BETHPAGE IS SCHEDULED FOR TOMORROW, APRIL 28TH, DEPARTING WHS AT 7:30AM – RETURNING AT 3:00PM.***MS.SEBASTIANO
· THERE IS A NYSAT – AN OLYMPICS FOR THE VISUAL ARTS - FIELD TRIP TO SARATOGA SPRINGS ON THURSDAY, APRIL 30TH, DEPARTING WHS AT 4:00AM – RETURNING AT 7:00PM.***MR. PARLAGRECO
· THE MARINE BIOLOGY CLASSES ARE SCHEDULED FOR A FIELD TRIP TO THE NY AQUARIUM IN BROOKLYN ON FRIDAY, MAY 1ST – DEPARTING WHS AT 8:00AM – RETURNING AT 2:00PM.***MS. GALAN-PENA
· THE STUDIO IN ART CLASSES WILL BE ATTENDING A FIELD TRIP TO THE POLLACK-KRASNER HOUSE IN EAST HAMPTON ON FRIDAY, MAY 1ST. THE CLASS WILL BE DEPARTING WHS AT 8:00AM – RETURNING AT 2:00PM.***MS. GALLO
· ATTENTION SOPHMORES!! ORDER YOUR 2017 CLASS RING ON PARENT/STUDENT ORDER NIGHT – MONDAY, MAY 11TH FROM 7:00PM-9:00PM IN ROOM 150. IN-SCHOOL ORDER DATES WILL BE FRIDAY, MAY 15TH AND WEDNESDAY, MAY 20TH FROM 10:30AM-1:00PM IN HONORS HALL. LATE ORDERS WILL BE ACCEPTED THURSDAY, MAY 21ST. RING DEPOSITS-$60/$100. EXTRA CATALOGS AVAILABLE IN THE MAIN OFFICE. CALL GEORGE HAMRE (631) 742-0083 WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
· ORDER YOUR HIGH SCHOOL AGENDA FOR THE 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR. SEE THE WHS WEBPAGE OR THE HIGH SCHOOL STORE FOR MORE INFORMATION. YOU MUST PRE-ORDER THIS SCHOOL YEAR IN ORDER TO GUARANTEE DELIVERY FOR SEPTEMBER.
· CURRENT YEARBOOK INFORMATION FOR 2014-2015: YEARBOOKS CAN BE PURCHASED ONLINE AT YEARBOOKFOREVER.COM FROM NOW THROUGH JUNE 9TH 2015. THE COST OF A YEARBOOK IS: $120.00. YOU CAN PAY USING A CREDIT CARD; OR CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE OUT TO WANTAGH SCHOOL DISTRICT AND LEFT IN MR. PARLAGRECO’S MAILBOX.