7:30 AM - 6:00 PM Science Olympiad Regional Competition
Wantagh High School’s National Honor Society inducted 97 new members during a traditional candle-lighting ceremony in the auditorium. The evening featured words of wisdom from administrators and staff, musical interludes by the high school’s string chamber ensemble and the singing of the National Anthem by Kayla Knight.
Wantagh High School seniors Emily Fenter and Anthony Testa were selected as recipients of the Nassau Zone Award. Sponsored by the New York State Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, this award recognizes one male and one female Nassau County high school senior from each school district who exemplify outstanding scholastic ability, physical education performance and leadership qualities. The recipients were honored during a dinner at Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury on Dec. 2.
Forest Lake kindergarten students were the recipients of wonderful books donated by members of the high school senior class. Wantagh High School students John Casella, Alexis Conway, Melissa Ehl, Emily Fenter and Kaitlyn von Runnen wanted to stock the kindergarten classrooms with some of their favorite books and took requests from teachers. As a surprise, John, Melissa and Kaitlyn read their donated picture books to excited and attentive students.
Wantagh High School National Art Honor Society students attended the first annual NAHS Creative Industries Studio in Washington, D.C. in November. Advisor and art teacher Amy Sue McPartlan accompanied Christina Imbro, Ashley Mortimer, Patricia Myers, Christine Parola, Kiernan Rathgaber and Amanda Roach to this exciting venue.
Wantagh High School’s literary magazine, Escapades, has received 13 awards in artwork/illustration, cover design, photography and poetry from the Empire State School Press Association and Columbia Scholastic Press Association. Every year, awards are handed out to the top school literary magazines in the state at the associations’ annual conference, held at Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.
Wantagh TechDay is an annual event created by Wantagh School District alumni to promote computer science education. Motivated by code.org’s initiative, the Wantagh TechDay team seeks to provide the opportunity for exposure to the practical skills of computer science...
Ten senior athletes signed National Letters of Intent to continue their sports at national and regional colleges and universities next fall. Signing a National Letter of Intent is the highest honor for a high school athlete, and the district congratulates each athlete on this outstanding accomplishment.
WANTAGH SENIOR HIGH DAILY BULLETIN
· TODAY, JANUARY 23RD, THE FIDM FASHION CLUB WILL MEET IN ROOM 208 AT 2:20PM. SEE MS. GALLO FOR MORE INFORMATION.
· TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO GO TO #WHSBUSINESS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BUSINESS ED SOCIAL MEDIA SCAVENGER HUNT. SEE ANY BUSINESS TEACHER FOR INFORMATION.
· THERE WILL BE A WARR CLUB MEETING TODAY IN ROOM #201. A REMINDER FOR ALL TEACHERS AND STUDENTS – PLEASE LEAVE YOUR RECYCLING BINS OUTSIDE OF YOUR CLASSROOMS BEFORE YOU LEAVE.
· HEY SENIORS- CLASS OF 2015 SHIRTS CAN BE ORDERED FROM NOW UNTIL FEBRUARY 11TH . ORDER FORMS WILL BE GIVEN OUT IN HOMEROOM. EXTRA FORMS CAN BE FOUND IN THE MAIN OFFICE. MONEY AND FORMS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 11TH .
· CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL FBLA MEMBERS THAT COMPETED AT THE SPRING DISTRICT MEETING LAST FRIDAY AT MOLLY COLLEGE! 382 STUDENTS COMPETED AT THIS EVENT. WHILE YOU ARE ALL WINNERS, WE HAVE 3 MEMBERS THAT PLACED- COLLEGE ACCOUNTING: 2ND PLACE, STEVEN BECKER, 4TH PLACE, AMANDA CASO. MARKETING: 5TH PLACE, VICTORIA ZOZZARO.
· THE KEY CLUB WILL BE COLLECTING NEW STUFFED ANIMALS NOW THROUGH JANUARY 30TH. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE DROP OFF YOUR DONATION IN THE MAIN LOBBY. MS.FIORILLO.
· THE SCHOOL STORE IS OPEN HOMEROOM AND 9TH PERIOD.
· FROM NOW UNTIL THE END OF JANUARY, ANY STUDENT WISHING TO SHADOW A TEACHER OR STAFF MEMBER AT WANTAGH ELEMENTARY, MANDALAY, OR FOREST LAKE. BEECH STREET SHADOWING IS ALMOST FULL, BUT THERE ARE STILL SOME OPENINGS AT FOREST LAKE AND MANDALAY- HURRY TO MS. AYMONG’S ROOM #214 TO SIGN UP! GROUNDHOG SHADOW DAY IS MONDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND.
· ATTENTION CLASS OF 2015: TODAY IS THE LAST DAY, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED AS A POTENTIAL CANDIDATE FOR SENIOR AWARDS THIS YEAR, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR ACTIVITIES SECTION OF YOUR COMMON APPLICATION IS UP TO DATE WITH THE MOST CURRENT INFORMATION AND THAT A HARD COPY IS ON FILE IN THE GUIDANCE OFFICE. PLEASE CHECK YOUR NAVIANCE EMAIL FOR FURTHER DETAIL. ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT MS. STANULIS AT STANULISJ@WANTAGHSCHOOLS.ORG OR YOUR GUIDANCE COUNSELOR.
· ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 24TH, THE SCIENCE OLYMPIAD CLASS WILL BE TAKING A TRIP TO CORNELL UNIVERSITY WITH MR. COLAVITA AND MS. DOLLEY. THE BUS WILL BE LEAVING AT 4AM, RETURNING AT 11PM.
· CURRENT YEARBOOK INFORMATION FOR 2014-2015: FROM NOW THROUGH JUNE 9TH 2015, THE COST OF A YEARBOOK IS NOW $120.00 - YEARBOOKS CAN BE PURCHASED ONLINE AT:YEARBOOKFOREVER.COM – YOU CAN USE A CREDIT CARD TO PAY; OR CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE OUT TO WANTAGH SCHOOL DISTRICT AND LEFT IN MR. PARLAGRECO’S MAILBOX. PERSONAL ADS CAN BE PURCHASED ONLINE AT YEARBOOKFOREVER.COM. PRICES & SIZES ARE LISTED ON WEBSITE. ANYONE HAVING TROUBLE CAN SEE MR. PARLAGRECO OR CHECK THE YEARBOOK PAGE ON THE SCHOOL WEBSITE.
· THERE WILL BE A FIELD TRIP FOR MUSIC TO LINCOLN CENTER ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND LEAVING AT 7:45AM RETURNING AT 4:30PM TO THE TRAIN STATION. SEE MS. GOOD, MR. HUNTER, OR MR. PARLAGRECO FOR DETAILS.