4:00 PM WUT Executive Board Meeting
5:00 PM - 8:00 PM WHS/WMS Book Fair
7:30 AM SAT
Thirteen of the high school’s most creative student-artists placed third in the high school graphic design category of the New York State Art Teachers Association’s Olympics of the Visual Arts. This annual adjudicated event, held at the Saratoga Springs City Center in Sarasota Springs, New York hosted 900 participants representing 37 school districts.
Senior Emily Fenter was one of 125 students nationwide who was awarded a Disney Friends for Change Youth Grant through Youth Service America. The grant was awarded to young people to lead projects that make a positive and long-lasting change in the world. Emily said she will use the grant money totaling $350 to host a blanket-making day to benefit teens undergoing scoliosis surgery at New York University Hospital for Special Surgery.
High school classes received valuable information about the dangers of texting and driving through participation in AT&T’s It Can Wait program. Through sponsorship from New York State Assemblyman David G. McDonough, the students learned that drivers who text are 23 times more likely to be in an accident and that more than 100,000 crashes a year involve drivers who are texting, causing life-altering injuries and death.
Eighty high school and 95 middle school students of Italian, Spanish and French were inducted into the high school and middle school Foreign Language Honor Societies during separate ceremonies in the auditorium. These inductions were a culminating activity during the district’s annual Foreign Language Week.
Under the direction of Dan Aviles, Wantagh High School’s jazz ensemble received three top awards at the annual Herricks Jazz Festival: Best Rhythm Section, Best Trumpet Section and Outstanding Soloist (Matthew Saltzman). Herricks School District Jazz Director Geoff Taylor organizes the annual festival for student jazz bands from Nassau and Suffolk counties, which is designed to provide an opportunity for group and individual performances and a critique from a guest artist. Michael Phillip Mossman, lead trumpeter with Jazz at Lincoln Center's Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra, was this year’s guest artist and was responsible for deciding award presentations.
Wantagh Warrior senior editor Bianca Buffamonte and freshman reporter Grace Tague received Gold Awards at Adelphi University’s annual Quill Awards for excellence in journalism, recognizing the top high school newspaper staffs from New York City, and Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Under the direction of business law teacher Kate Aymong, the high school’s Moot Court Club placed second in the Hofstra University School of Law’s 27th annual Moot Court Competition at Plainview-Old Bethpage JFK High School. Mrs. Aymong said Moot Court Club introduces students to their first opportunity to study law. “I was extremely proud of the way the students handled themselves throughout this tough competition,” she said.
Wantagh High School student Nikoleta Mountanos received a Gold Key regional award in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards contest, presented by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers. Nikoleta’s dramatic script, “Her, Him, It,” was judged among the more than 255,000 submissions to the annual competition that recognizes excellence in writing and art and was considered for national recognition.
The Class of 2017 went on a field trip down to Washington DC on April 26th and 27th. The students were able to learn more about World War II and the tragedy of the Holocaust while at a tour of the Holocaust Museum. After the museum, the group went to various monuments accompanied by tour guides that included the World War II Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, and Washington Monument.
WANTAGH SENIOR HIGH DAILY BULLETIN
TODAY IS DAY 4
· ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS!! LOCKER CLEAN-OUT WILL BEGIN AFTER SCHOOL ON THURSDAY, JUNE 4TH. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO BRING EXTRA BAGS TO CARRY YOUR BELONGINGS HOME. GARBAGE CANS WILL BE PROVIDED FOR ANY TRASH. PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL LOCKERS WILL BE SEALED AFTER SCHOOL ON TUESDAY, JUNE 9TH.
· SIGN UP FORMS FOR THE SCIENCE OLYMPIAD BADMINTON TOURNAMENT ARE IN MR. COLAVITA’S ROOM – 204. IT IS $20 PER TEAM. THE TOURNAMENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON JUNE 4TH & JUNE 5TH AFTER SCHOOL IN THE GYM.
· G.O. IS HOLDING A KNOCKOUT BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3RD! THE COST IS $3 TO PLAY AND THE WINNER WILL RECEIVE A PRIZE. REGISTRATION WILL BE TAKING PLACE TODAY AT 2:30PM IN FRONT OF THE GYM LOBBY. BE SURE TO BRING YOU’RE A-GAME!
· LIBRARY CIRCULATION ENDS FRIDAY, JUNE 5TH. PLEASE RETURN ALL MATERIALS BY THEN. THANK YOU!
· ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS: ALL DENTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED BY WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10TH BY 2:49PM. ANY RETURNING STUDENT WHO FAILS TO COMPLETE ALL OWED DETENTIONS WILL BEGIN THE 2015-2016 ON THE PRIVILEGE DENIED LIST. ANY SENIOR WHO FAILS TO COMPLETE ALL OWED DETENTIONS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND GRADUATION.
· ANY MEMBER OF THE ASL CLUB WHO”D LIKE TO RUN FOR EXECUTIVE BOARD OFFICE, PLEASE SEE MRS. CHOW IN ROOM 231 BEFORE JUNE 9TH.
· THE LAST FBLA CLUB MEETING WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3RD. SEE MS. STROUSE WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
· ANY STUDENT (16 YEARS OR OLDER) LOOKING AN OFFICE JOB STARTING NOW AND LASTING THROUGH THE SCHOOL YEAR—SEE MS.AYMONG IN ROOM 215 AFTER SCHOOL ANY DAY THIS WEEK.
· THE ENGLISH/READING/DRAMA DEPARTMENT WILL BE HOSTING A BOOK FAIR AT BARNES & NOBLE IN MASSAPEQUA THURSDAY, JUNE 4TH FROM 5:00PM-8:00PM. COME BY AND SEE YOUR TEACHERS AND FELLOW STUDENTS PERFORM DRAMATIC READINGS OF SOME OF THEIR FAVORITE BOOKS AND POETRY.
· DRIVER’S ED. REGISTRATION FOR THE 2015 SUMMER SEMESTER WILL BE TOMORROW, JUNE 2ND FROM 10AM-2PM IN THE HS LOBBY. FORMS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE WALL DISPLAY OUTSIDE THE MAIN OFFICE AND ON-LINE THROUGH THE EAST MEADOW DRIVING SCHOOL WEBSITE (www.emdsonline.net) or (www.wantaghschools.org). PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO WANTAGH UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT. STOP BY THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
· ATTENTION VARSITY ATHLETES!! THE WHS VARSITY AWARDS NIGHT WILL BE HELD ON MONDAY, JUNE 8TH AT 6:00PM AT THE ROYAL PALM BANQUET HALL (formerly Stuart Thomas Manor). PLEASE RETURN ALL TICKET REQUESTS TO THE BOOSTER CLUB MAILBOX LOCATED IN THE MAIN OFFICE.
· THE WHS/WMS FINE & PERFORMING ARTS HONORS & AWARDS NIGHT WILL BE HELD ON JUNE 9TH AT 7:00PM IN THE WHS AUDITORIUM.
· PROM NIGHT REQUIREMENT!! FOR THOSE OF YOU ATTENDING THIS YEAR’S SENIOR PROM, THE MANDATORY SENIOR EVENING ASSEMBLY “CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES” WILL BE ON WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10TH AT 7:00PM. SEE MS. STUART OR MS. GIANGARRA WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
· YEARBOOK PAYMENTS ARE NOW DUE. ANYONE WISHING TO PURCHASE A YEARBOOK SHOULD GO TO YEARBOOKFOREVER.COM OR BRING IN A CHECK IN THE AMOUNT OF $120.00 MADE PAYABLE TO WANTAGH SCHOOL DISTRICT. A LIST OF THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED A YEARBOOK IS POSTED NEXT TO THE YEARBOOK OFFICE. PLEASE SEE MR. PARLAGRECO WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
· ORDER YOUR HIGH SCHOOL AGENDA FOR THE 2015-2016 SCHOOL YEAR: SEE THE WHS WEBPAGE OR THE HIGH SCHOOL STORE FOR MORE INFORMATION. YOU MUST PRE-ORDER THIS SCHOOL YEAR IN ORDER TO GUARANTEE DELIVERY FOR SEPTEMBER.***MRS. COLAVITA